Saturday, April 7, 2012

Today is the last day of my fourth week at the Johnson County Library.  Everyone I've met so far at work is collegial, smart, and focused.  I don't fit in at all.

Ha!  Only joking.  Aside from a bit of shock at being told "no" for the first time in five or so years (with good reason; I was trying to assign myself more work than I probably could handle), I like my new workplace very much.  It's the kind of library that's not afraid to try things, not afraid to challenge itself.  The decision making process is incredibly democratic, with people at pretty much every level having input into which projects move forward and which projects get shelved.  And people top to bottom really seem to care about the library, and are not just slogging through yet another work week.

Our new hometown of Kansas City is also treating us very well.  My Aunt Julie and Uncle John, with whom we're staying, are excellent hosts/landlords.  There is always beer in the fridge, dinner is always ready when I get home from work, and there is occasionally a baby to play with that I like very much now that she has learned that my beard is not a harbinger of death or danger.

Tonight we're heading out into Kansas City's Crossroads District for First Fridays, where we may or may not end up seeing Murder By Death, who are from Bloomington.  Small world.  Tomorrow we're going to hang out at the Jarboe Initiative, an awesome project being carried out by fellow Athenian Nick Ward-Bopp.  Really small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment